Wednesday September 5, 2012
On August 28, 2012 the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid
Services (CMS) released their 2012 Nursing Home Action Plan. The
plan is organized into 5 actionable strategies:
Details include planned updates to Nursing Home Compare, improving
fire safety, revising surveyor guidance, QIS, civil money
penalties, culture change activities, QAPI, Care Transitions,
Health Facility Acquired Infections (HAIs), and initiatives for
reducing re-hospitalizations and use of anti-psychotics. The
plan is based on a 3-part plan created by the agency to improve the
U.S. health care system:
- Enhance Consumer Engagement.
- Strengthen Survey Processes, Standards, and Enforcement.
- Promote Quality Improvement.
- Create Strategic Approaches through Partnerships.
- Advancing Quality through Innovation and
Complete 2012 Nursing Home Action Plan: 2012-Nursing-Home-Action-Plan
- Improving the individual experience of care.
- Improving the health of populations.
- Reducing the per-capita cost of care of populations.